PMBOK Guide 4th Edition Sample Questions

Here are some sample questions based on PMBOK Guide 4th edition. Answers and more links are at the end of the post.

Q 1 - Procurement audits are conducted during -

A. Administer Procurement
B. Close Procurement
C. Monitor & Control Risks
D. Perform Quality Assurance

Q 2 - Which of the following is NOT a tool for Define Scope?

A. Product Analysis
B. Alternative Identification
C. Stakeholder Analysis
D. Facilitated workshops

Q 3 - All of the following are Group Decision Making Techniques EXCEPT -

A. Unanimity
B. Negotiating
C. Plurality
D. Dictatorship

Q 4 - You have been assigned the project manager of a project whose earlier project manager has left the organization without proper knowledge transfer. To understand the complete scope of project, you will look at -

B. Project Management Plan
C. Communication Management Plan
D. Performance Reports

Q 5 - All of the following are tools & techniques of Sequence Activities EXCEPT -

A. Precedence Diagramming Method
B. Applying Leads & Lags
C. Arrow Diagramming Method
D. Dependency Determination

Q 6 - Money spent on the project activities during the project to avoid failures is -

A. Cost of Non-conformance
B. Cost of Conformance
C. Failure Cost
D. Cost of Poor Quality

Q 7 - Five stages of team development are -

A. Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing, Adjourning
B. Forming, Norming, Storming, Performing, Adjourning
C. Forming, Norming, Performing, Storming, Adjourning
D. Norming, Forming, Storming, Performing, Adjourning

Q 8 - You have entered into a fixed price contract with a seller but with an understanding that contract cost may change due to currency exchange rate fluctuation. What type of contract is this -


Q 9 - You have released an advertisement in a leading newspaper to call for the sellers of a product that is needed to complete your project. Which process are you performing now -

A. Plan Procurement
B. Administer Procurement
C. Outsource Procurement
D. Conduct Procurement

Q 10 - You are the project manager for a software development project. There are 70% chances of making company $240,000 and 30% chances of costing the company $130,000 by doing the project in-house. What's EMV of the doing the project in-house?

A. $168,000
B. $39,000
C. $129,000
D. $207,000

For more numerical and formula related sample questions visit this post. Before attempting those questions, you may want to visit PMP Formulas at a glance.


Q 1 - B - Procurement audit is a tool & technique of Close Procurement. PMBOK Guide 4th edition, P343, Sec

Q 2 - C - Stakeholder analysis was a tool for Scope definition in PMBOK Guide 3rd edition. This has now become part of Facilitated Workshops, where stakeholder's needs are understood.

Q 3 - B - PMBOK Guide 4th edition, P108, Sec

Q 4 - A - PMBOK Guide 4th edition, P121, Sec

Q 5 - C - Arrow Diagramming Method (ADM) was tool & technique for Activity Sequencing in PMBOK Guide 3rd edition.

Q 6 - B - PMBOK Guide 4th edition P195, Sec

Q 7 - A - PMBOK Guide 4th edition P233, Sec

Q 8 - C - PMBOK Guide 4th edition P323, Sec

Q 9 - D - PMBOK Guide 4th edition P332, Sec

Q 10 - C - $240,000*0.7 - $130,000*0.3 = $129,000

Here are the links for more practice questions -
  1. 3500 Question Exam Simulation CD-ROM
  2. 1000 PMP Exam Questions with Explanations, 5 Full Length Exams: Based on PMBOK 4th Edition
Fore more sample questions, visit:
  1. My PMP Sample Questions
  2. More Sample Questions (PMBOK 4th Edition)


  1. Thank you for posting some sample questions. It helps us a little bit prepared for the examination.

    It's great that there are still more to this. Great post!

  2. Not very many variations out there to know which is accurate

  3. Very helpful in gauging knowledge across the board

  4. Very helpful- please post some more questions

  5. PMI’s Project Management Professional (PMP) ® credential is the most important industry-recognized certification for project managers. Recently I went for a PMP prep course by the training provider mentioned above, the instructor was too good and I passed with relative ease. Looking forwards to apply what I learned in PMP class in my company.

  6. As per the PMBOK Guide 4th Edition, “A project is a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service or result.” and the project management is the “application of knowledge, skill, tool, and technique to project activities to meet the project requirements.”

  7. This is an incredible post about Project Management Certification in USA Getting such a wide range of benefits is really amazing.

  8. There are many more benefits of pursuing PMP Certification Training in USA It draws out the hidden skills and increase your market value that can be much beneficial for the future.

  9. This publish includes the main understanding that's quite wanted with the help of all PMP candidates. Fmovies